Monday, August 17, 2009

Brittany's Back update

B has been suffering with back pain for about 3 months. Saturday it was very uncomfortable. Sunday morning at 5:30 am, she came into my bedroom in tears. She had been vomiting, all night and was in severe pain. I put my hand on her head and she was burning up... Back ache my butt!!!

We were at the hospital by 6 am, triage by 6:05 and in a bed by 6:10.

The first thing they did was take urine, thinking it was a bladder infection. The urine did not show bacteria levels sufficient to warrant the kind of pain she was in. So a CAT scan was ordered.

My father came down to see her with Buddha and he is not old enough to visit, so at 11 am I took him to get a snack and get some air. While I was gone, they gave her morphine. No biggy I knew she was getting it, but we did not know it would make her start shaking violently and vomiting. Benadryl and nausea medication was administered.

All this time she needed to drink some contrast fluid for her C scan. But it was not easy.. finally she plugged her nose and got 1/2 of it down. Just in time for the tech to come and wheel her into the radiology wing of the hospital...

Well 2 hours later, we get the results Britt has an acute kidney infection. They were able to determine that from the scan. She had an infection that is usually very noticeable on females but she did not have any of the symptoms.. Go figure.

Well last night she called me from her room and asked if I would lay with her, she had a nightmare (probably from the percocet) and she just could not get comfy.. So 2am rolled around and I convinced her we should turn off the tv and go to sleep... well I awoke with a start at 8:15.. 15 minutes after I am usually at work. Ha ahaha.. Her fever broke and she is actually feeling a little better.

She is staying in bed and resting which means, she really is not back to her old self...

Thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. Poor thing! We're glad she is starting to improve and hope she's back to her old self soon. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck! I am so glad they found out the problem and she is on the road to recovery. That had to be very scary. Does she usually have that reaction to meds? I hope she is 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete